Sunday, August 31, 2014

Beginning of the Year Writing Inspiration

Hello Everyone!
Well, starting my 33rd year as an educator of young children has been inspiring.  I gain strength from these kids every year.  They rejuvenate, exhilarate, substantiate,(and just about any "ate" word you might think of...or make up!! :) me to no end!  We also have an amazing first grade team this year and I anticipate nothing but "awesomeness" happening this year.  
We began the year with our Super Hero theme and the kids love it!!  A huge thank you to our wonderful moms for helping with the hallway vision!! And the kids' little projects to start the year came out so cute!!


Our shirts say "I Teach 1st...What's Your Superpower?"   (I'm in the red skirt)








We will put kid's pics on the stars.  Can't wait!!! 
Thanks to the moms who took all the pics!!!








One of my roles this year is to help plan the written expression lessons.  I am in love with helping kids write!! On tap this past week was showing kids where to get inspiration for their writing.  Many of you have your kids create a map of the heart.  That is exactly what we worked on this week.  The idea comes from 
Georgia Heard's book, Awakening the Heart.
For this activity we focus on the "heart that feels. " The heart holds so many memories, loves, places, etc.  I created my heart for the kids to get an idea of what inspires me and then let them get busy with their own!

Mini poster of heart questions


My "Map of the Heart"



These became a part of the kids' writer's tool box.  

One of my sweet teammates shared what she loves to do with her kids to help them look inside and feel special.   Will. I. Am. created a song for Sesame Street called "What I Am."  Oh Yeah!!  We pulled it up on You Tube and sang and danced away!!  The words are so powerful!!  We created a large I chart including the fun words and then the kids created their own showing "what they are."  This will go into their tool box as inspiration as well!!



I'll be back soon to share some of the "name" activities we did to get to know each other and learn about letters and sounds. Stay tuned.  I hope your beginning of the year has been just as SUPER as mine!! 
Ready or not...here we go!!
Joyfully!
Nancy


8 comments:

  1. I love all the things you share. We are also doing Super Heros this year. Thank you for sharing your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for starting personal narratives tomorrow. Thank you so much! (I love teaching writing also--especially poetry!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your day!! It looks marvelous!!! I love your Super Hero's! Do you have a template for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0bn51-8JcKsX3hoS1AyRlBhZlU/edit

      Here's the link to the doc with the templates. Hope it works and I hope it helps!! Let me know!! :) Nancy

      Delete
  4. The superhero writing we be awesome for our school. We have implemented a school-wide behavior plan with a superhero theme. Do you have templates for the writing bubble and craft? I love your writing ideas as well. Would love to have copies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0bn51-8JcKsX3hoS1AyRlBhZlU/edit

      This will bring you to the superhero doc. Have fun!!! If this link doesn't work , there is a link on this blog -search superhero. :) Nancy

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much! Your superhero packet is fantabulous!! There are so many activities I can use for our superheroes.

      Delete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!