Tuesday, February 24, 2015

High Frequency Word Spelling

Hello Everyone!
Well, it's another ice day for our little town in Texas.  I know the kids are probably very excited, and I have to say I am too!  The day off of school gave me time to finish up a high frequency spelling unit that I had been meaning to finish.  It will come in handy this coming week as we review some of the words we've been working on. Being able to read and spell some core high frequency words with automaticity is so important for success in reading and writing for our littles.  This mini unit includes some lists especially for first graders, and plenty of reading and writing activities to help kids have fun practicing those words.  Many of the activities are based on the work of Diane Snowball.  If you are unfamiliar with her work, you need to check out her books!! She is genius!! The unit I've put together includes some activities for specific words my kids will be working on, but also some "loadable" pages for your own word choices or even those of your students' choosing.  Simply write your specific words in the blanks! 
I am hoping you can use even a small part of this unit as your students make their way through that list of words!!!  Here are some pics of just a few of the practice activities. (66 pages in all!!)  All are easy to print and go!!





Magazine Letter Pages included (black and white)



Mixed up sentences




writing and graphing high frequency words



For your own High Frequency Spelling Word unit...CLICK HERE!!! :)

On another note, even though it is so cold outside, my heart is warmed by all the e-mails and comments from teachers and parents who have been able to use some of my meager attempts at making learning fun for kids. Your stories inspire me to keep sharing!! I have been blessed by you!!
Prayers to all of you battling even worse weather than what we're having!!!  Stay warm and safe!!
Joyfully!
Nancy






No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!