Sunday, October 12, 2014

Math in the Patch

Hello Everyone!
Well, it finally feels like fall around here!! We are welcoming some cooler temps here in Texas. Summer truly seemed to drag on this year.  Don't get me wrong, though. Summer is my fav season and there is not much I like better than enjoying some pool or beach time. But once school starts, it really does need to feel like fall.  So....Time to bring on the pumpkins!!! Nothing like some fun pumpkin style math activities to help kids practice place value, standard and expanded notation and more.  I am always updating, revising, cleaning up, and adding to my old units.  I offered my "Math in the Patch" unit last year, but it has gone through a few changes. Yes! I did fix one or two typos! Grrrr! I hate typos!! I added some fun elements as well!  Here are some pics!















 















I think one of my favorite things I added to the unit is the Number Pumpkin. You will need some orange paint chip strips, some sticks, and leaves. Give kids a 2 digit number and have them write that number in the many forms we have learned about. Labels for the sections are included in the unit. Tape or glue on the stick and the leaf. I can't wait to do this with my firsties.

We did something similar but with candy corn shapes the past few years, but this gives even more opportunity for expressing number sense with five sections.  

If you are interested in any of this 60 page unit...

I hope you have a great week!! Thanks for stopping by for a peek! You are welcomed any time!  Stay tuned for more fall fun!
Joyfully!
Nancy




4 comments:

  1. I always love your work, and this is a great file. I've shared on FB. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have read ANOTHER great file! Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Debra!!! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for continuing to offer your amazing units for free to teachers. I appreciate all your hours of work and then sharing. You are an extremely generous person!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!