Sunday, November 16, 2014

Talkin' Turkey- Number Bonds and Craft Connection

Hello Everyone!
Brrrr! It's chilly here!!  I've got some yummy soup going and just took out my cranberry pumpkin bread.  It's beginning to smell a lot like Thanksgiving!  
The next few weeks will be crazy busy for me as my youngest graduates with two degrees from UTD.  Lots of company coming in, meals to prep, house to clean, announcements and pics to send out, and so much more!!  So this post is very quick. 
 I wanted to show you some fun stuff we were doing in math, what's coming up in math, and a cute little turkey my kids are going to love to make! 
 We have been working hard on composing and decomposing, beginning addition, etc. in math. We played a fun whole class game which helped the kids understand number relationships. It was called Turkey Trouble. I made a giant turkey and used 10 of my candy corn pieces from other games.  The kids took turns closing their eyes and one kiddo would hide some of the candy under the turkey (Turkeys love candy corn!) When the kids opened their eyes, they had to guess how many pieces the turkey got! Such a fun way to use concrete and pictoral clues for number sense.





  Next week I was going to go on  and teach the addition strategy of making a 10 and adding, but realized last week that we need more work on number bonds for 10. Sooooo...I had to create something quick to use as a class activity and something to put in math tubs for practice and automaticity.  This is what I came up with.











Then I wanted one more little turkey project for my kiddos to do.  There are so many great books out there about the troubles turkeys have this time of year. There are also so many hands on visuals out there. 

 I wanted to recreate my turkey from past years. Here's what I came up with! 

I think he turned out so cute!! I know the kids are going to love making him and putting their own personal touches on him!!

Hope these mini sharings are something you can maybe use as well!
And I hope you have a wonder-filled week!! I'll try to grab some pics of our week...making butter, Thanksgiving Retelling bracelet, and of course our feast!!
Joyfully!
Nancy






No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!