Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Small Moment Stories and Minding your "Peas" and Q's!

Hello Everyone!
I know! I know! Two posts in two days???  What??? Well, I told you that I was digging deeper into Lucy Calkins Units of Study for first grade and her first resource Small Moments has once again inspired me to create something fun for my little writers.  Lucy suggests using the little book, Night of the Veggie Monster by George McClements, as a mentor text for helping kids understand what a small moment story looks and sounds like. As soon as I saw that title, I knew I wanted to dig even deeper!  It is a great little book about a boy who turns into a monster when he has to eat a pea! (How perfect for our beginning of the year monster unit too! I already had the book lined up to read!)
Well, if you know me, I can't just read a book once and leave it alone.  I wanted to really inspire kids about small moment stories by comparing peapods and peas. I know, a little wacky, but the connections just scream out to kids!!  So I created a little intro to small moment stories using peas.  It is very similar to the unit I've posted in the past about using pumpkins and seeds.  I can't wait to try this with my littles this year.  It is my intention to start this after we've done all the brainstorming, heart mapping and setting up of our notebooks. 
Here are a few pics from the 15 page mini unit.













I can't wait to help kids understand that their little tiny moments from their lives can become wonder-filled stories!!

Click!!

If you want to learn more about the resources Lucy Calkins put out, you have to look into getting her books!!!  Great investment!

I am getting more and more excited  about the new school year!!  
I hope you are too! Let me know if there's anything else you would like to see, or if there is a problem with anything you do see.  Until next time, look for the joy today!!!
Joyfully!
Nancy



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!