Sunday, January 8, 2017

Poetry Unit Updated!


Hello Everyone!
Well, we made it through our first week back after winter break!  It was a four day week for kids, but teachers were there all five!  We enjoyed some inservice time together on Monday before the kids came on Tuesday.  It helps to ease into second semester a little! :)
For the next few weeks in writing, we will focus on poetry.  I looooove teaching poetry to our youngest writers because there isn't a wrong or right way to write poetry. At the beginning of the unit, kids don't realize they can be poets!  In first grade we work on writing sensory poems, list poems, concrete or shape poems and other unrhymed poems.  I have shared my poetry unit before, but because we are starting our unit in January, I felt as though having winter as an inspiration was an important component, so I added a few seasonal pages to the unit!
I know some of you are buried in snow right now and you probably would rather not focus on winter and snow, but these little Texans don't get to see snow very often. In fact...It actually snowed a little bit on Friday, and the excitement was uncontrollable!!  We had noses pressed to our window until we could bear it no longer.  I let the kids go outside for a few minutes and you would have thought I gave them the moon!!



Ahhhhh! There's nothing like catching snowflakes on your tongue!!! We will sooooooo use this experience for inspiration for writing some sensory poems!!!
Anyway...Here are a few things you'll get in the updated poetry unit:












The unit is now about 100 pages with templates and visuals for about 10 different kinds of poetry.  
If you are at all interested,  
simply hover and CLICK HERE!! :)  You will be directed to the downloadable and printable 100 page unit!  Yes, It's free!! 
Oh! We are also working on reading and understanding poetry written by other poets. It is important that kids learn to interpret other texts, and discuss the author's purpose. 

I hope you have as much fun working on poetry with your kids as I do!  Please let me know if there is anything else you want me to include in this unit!!!  I am always open for suggestions, corrections, etc!! 

Have a wonderful week, everyone!!!  Don't forget to find JOY in the journey!! 
:)
Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!