Thursday, September 7, 2017

Let's Do the Rekenrek Slide!

Hello Everyone,
Just a very quick post today, but before I share, I want to thank you for all the e-mail messages about the hurricane crises here in Texas. So many of our friends have lost their schools and homes.  Please keep giving! 
Along that same line, please keep our Florida family and friends in your thoughts in the next few days as well! Having grown up in the West Palm Beach area, we are watching this next hurricane very carefully! Hold on!  Stay safe and be smart all!!! We love you!
 And ...We can't forget about the wildfires! This is all just so devastating. We have to lean on each other for support, care, and encouragement. Praying for everyone affected! 

Having all this going on makes it hard to focus on much else, but I was able to put together a little Rekenrek unit. By now you have probably heard of this hands on tool for kids to use to see patterns in numbers, help with composing and decomposing, and so much more. I started using them with my kids last year and totally fell in love with the engagement I saw with my firsties. Kids love them! 



In this little unit you will be introduced to what a rekenrek is, where to get them, how to make them, how to begin using them in your classroom, and how to practice using them in math tubs. 
Here are a few pages from the unit.









I encourage you to give them a try.  I want to thank our school district for generously getting some for our primary grades!! :)

Let me know what you think.  This is an introductory unit, but my plan is to add to it or create a "part 2."  I hope your kids enjoy and learn as much as mine have! 
Take care, everyone!!
Joyfully!
Nancy





No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!