Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Creating Symmetry and a Natural Resources Unit

Hello Everyone!
You should have heard the OOOOH's and AHHHH's today during math. Yes, math!! :)  We continued our exploration of symmetry today by creating our own sensational symmetrical shapes. I know you have probably all done this before, but the kids loooooved it, so I thought I'd share. The kids had a plain manilla piece of construction paper.  They had to decide whether they wanted to fold their paper to find the line of symmetry vertically or horizontally.  Then they got to squirt a few different colors on one side of the line.  Next came the mysterious part.  They folded the paper again and rubbed the places where they could feel the paint.  Then, open the paper back up!  Tah-Dah!  OOOOH! AHHHH!  A quick, easy, and beautiful way to show symmetry.










I also wanted to do a quick share of a new ultra mini unit I put together introducing kids to our natural resources.  We begin this unit next week.  We will be studying this for several weeks, so I will be adding to it as we go along, but this 29 page cross curricular unit will help to introduce.  
Here are a few pics. 


Mini posters for air, water, soil, trees





subtraction mystery picture using a 120 board





























Hands on activities
6 page problem solving mini book




You can click here for your printable!!



Till next time, thanks for taking a peek into our window of wonder!  Have a great night!
Joyfully!
Nancy

8 comments:

  1. These resources are amazing! I just found your blog and keep going farther and farther back just to see all the awesome stuff I missed... you are very talented and generous to share your creations for free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the wonderful resources!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! Thanks for this awesome resource! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. go you used to write wonderful. click here but the last several posts have been kinda boring? I miss your super writings. page Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on! next

    ReplyDelete
  5. next I really wanted to type a simple message to be able to thank you for those lovely hints you are giving out here. My time intensive internet research has at the end of the day been compensated with pleasant strategies to write about with my pals. page I 'd admit that we visitors actually are quite fortunate to live in a fine network with very many wonderful people with interesting suggestions. I feel pretty grateful to have come across the webpage and look forward to tons of more thrilling moments reading here. click here Thanks a lot once again for all the details.
    go

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the resources resource ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent, thanks for sharing such a valuable resource!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!