Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Showing Not Telling and a Quick Printable Earth Day Unit

Hello Everyone!
I loooooove this time of year. I  (OH! And the kids, too!) can really start seeing all the work we've put into our written express come to fruition!  The last couple of weeks we've been working on "showing, not just telling" our stories.  I am so happy with how they are taking those ideas and running with them!  We started off writing about what made us happy. We brainstormed how happy looks on a face, on a body, and what our voices do. Then the kids wrote a rough draft of their happiness. We revised, edited, and rewrote.  I love hearing the voices in these pieces!





Next we moved on to writing about a place. We had the opportunity to go to the zoo last week so we used that as our springboard!  This time we worked on the setting's sights, sounds, smells, and how it felt.






Way to go, Kids!!!  If you would like a printable copy of the steps and templates for the kids,

I can't wait to see how far we can go with our writing.  My first graders believe they are authors!!!

On another note, tomorrow is Earth Day.  I put together an ultra mini unit to help kids understand its importance and relevance to their lives.  During this time of year we are learning about our natural resources and conservation, so Earth Day fits!!












I am looking forward to using some of this tomorrow!! 

I hope you're having a good week!  To my friends in Australia, please be safe!  I am hearing about some crazy storms down there!!  To my friends around here, be safe as well.  We are in the start of tornado season!
Til next time, thanks for stopping by for a peek!!
Joyfully!
Nancy



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!