Saturday, December 7, 2013

Math Mints

Hello Everyone!!
Well, I can't believe I'm posting again this weekend, but we are iced in pretty good here and I'm beginning to get a little cabin fever.  We had an ice day (aka snowday) on Friday and we still couldn't get out today. Church has been canceled for tomorrow. That gives you an idea how bad it is.  I've baked, made 2 kinds of soup, cleaned, put up the rest of my Christmas décor, organized 2 closets, avoided some of the many files I have to attend to...and now I'm posting.  Feeling blessed!
I wanted to share this year's version of our math mints.  Last year when I posted about this activity, we were focused on fact families.  This year we were developing our doubles facts.
We learned a catchy little rap (inspired by Saxon) and as a whole group lesson, we worked on a giant mint work mat. I used two different colored starlight mints to show how to compose and indicate the part/part/whole of doubles facts.







Kids had recording sheets to help them see the patterns in our number sentences.
After our mini lesson, the kids has a chance to make their own math mint. This hands on visual connection was quick, easy, fun , and looks great hanging up.  It was also a good way to differentiate, as some kids challenged themselves with higher level doubles facts.



 
We just took two cheap white paper plates, colored them to look like a mint and wrote our facts. Glue the rims together so they become 3 dimensional, wrap them with clear cellophane and tied the ends. When we get back next week, kids will make a little book about doubles.
 
 
Hope you are all staying warm.  Till next time!
Have a great weekend!!
Joyfully!
Nancy
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. These are great hands-on activities for the holiday season! Thanks for sharing your clever ideas! My students love anything with candy!

    Jeannine
    Creative Lesson Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great ideas! Thank you! I follow your blog and your TPT. Your ideas have really helped my first year of teaching !

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!