Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Math Notebooking

Hello Everyone!
I have had so many questions about how we do our math, so I thought I would show a few things about a typical math time.We start our math day with extensive work on the calendar and number of the day,  So much can be learned about the relationships of numbers through "math talk" revolving around our calendar. Here are our thoughts from today.





After some serious exploration about the numbers involved with our calendar and our number of the day, we move to our math notebooks as an opportunity for kids to independently grow their number sense.   Many of you may already do notebooks and have maybe even given ours a try, but I am going to share the unit again because I've added some new pages for our number of the day. There are now 9 different levels from which to choose. 
 While students learn how to "do" math, they must also learn how to articulate what they are learning. It is important to provide many opportunities for students to organize and record their work with some structure and guidance but leaving room for self discovery,  experimentation, and challenge. Problem solving notebooks support students' learning because, in order to get their ideas on paper, children must organize, clarify, and reflect on their thinking. Initially many students will need support and encouragement in order to communicate their ideas and thinking clearly on paper but, as with any skill, the more they practice the easier it will become. Notebooks also serve as invaluable assessment resources that can inform classroom instruction. Reviewing a student’s math notebook provides a useful insight into what a child understands, how s/he approaches ideas and what misconceptions s/he has. Here are some pics of our notebooks.




Today the kids noticed that the twin number 66 has diagonal twin friends!!



The number operator page gives kids the chance 
to grow, grow, grow.
 After notebooking, students have the opportunity to tell what they already know about a certain math topic before we get started on our whole group strategy mini lesson and our math tubs.  Then after a lesson, they can talk/write about what they worked on. 





45 pages

I hope this answers some questions you may have.  We do follow our state/school district curriculum resources as far as what skills to teach, and when, but the notebooks lets the differentiation happen!!

Let me know if you have any other questions!!
So happy to help!
Joyfully!
Nancy









13 comments:

  1. This is fantastic Nancy! I'm not on class at present but I will be saving this for when I get back on class. Your children are so lucky to have such a great teacher with so many exciting activities. I am your #1 fan.

    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question for you. I was wondering how long you spend on each element of math during the day (calendar, notebook, whole groups) and if you do stations and how you have them set up. I have been doing Debbie Diller's math workstations and they are working great but I was wondering how much time you have overall and how it breaks down. Thanks
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! We spend about 1 to 1 1/2 hours for math. Calendar exploration is included in that. After calendar, kids do their math notebooks. When most are through, I call them over for our whole group math mini lesson, and then they go to their tubs. Math tubs are usually review and independent practice activities. Hope that helps! Nancy

      Delete
  3. Wow! This couldn't come at a better time for me. My team mate and I were just discussing how we feel a little frustrated with how we are teaching math this year. We have no common core curriculum and are basically making up lessons to hit standards as the children are ready. This will be a wonderful addition to our math time. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your generosity is simply incredible!!! I am so appreciative of your willingness to share this outstanding resource!!! You are a blessing to teachers everywhere!!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a saint for creating and sharing this awesome resource. I have not done calendar in weeks because it was too easy to put on the back burner...now I can make it interactive and worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you share so freely all of your hard work with everyone. I sometimes feel guilty for using the things you create with out paying for them. But I always send people to your site. Thanks again so much for doing such wonderful things for teachers and students! much admiration for you!!!

    rene'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Nancy. I have a question: Do you focus any of your calendar time on ELA? Or is it strictly math? I use mine as a calendar/morning meeting and I'm frustrated with it. Thanks!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, You could say that part of calendar time is ELA related. They are reading and shuffling around for the sentences in the pocket chart. While kids are doing jobs on the calendar wall, we have a lot of conversation about what is going on. Good morning meeting, sharing, etc.
      Nancy

      Delete
  8. Thank you! This is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing. I am a newbie when it comes to blogs, iPad, etc. what a new world of resources is opened for teachers! Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that I am your number 1 fan! Nancy, I am so excited that you are willing to share your gift with all of us. I do wonder what your day looks like as a whole and how you fit all these wonderful ideas into your day. Thanks again, you are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for sharing this freebie!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!