Thursday, April 18, 2013

Baking Up Some Synthesis

Hello Everyone!
Synthesizing is one of those "How do I teach that?" kind of concepts. I love how Debbie Miller in "Reading With Meaning" uses rippled water when you throw in a pebble to show how learning grows with reading.  I actually used that idea last year.  This year I wanted to use something the kids could connect with maybe a bit more. When I began thinking of synthesizing as bringing schema and mixing it in with the text, and adding a little more thinking, a little more reading, some talking, etc, it sounded like a recipe. Hmmmm...Baking??? Cupcakes??!!  Kids' fav!! 
Today I introduced the concept of synthesizing with some quick cupcake themed anchor charts, a little song, and some modeling of my own thinking as I read a new book.  Then the kids got to once again use their chef hats and their "Smart Cookie Bakery" aprons and practice synthesizing with a friend.  Of course they needed some other manipulatives like "ingredients," bowls, spoons, etc. Each pair picked a story, talked about what they thought the story would be about, read a little, thought a little, talked a little, read a little more, and finally synthesized. They really could track their thoughts, changes, and new learning!
Then they got to make a paper cupcake on which they attached their thinking and synthesizing. Here are a few pics.















Thanks for stopping by our little window. Have a great night!!
Joyfully!
Nancy






5 comments:

  1. I would love to be one of your students! Everything looks like so much fun...but the content is still there. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... this is amazing! Your creative talents are truly God-given! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful class and ideas and lessons/units with us - so that our students can benefit as well! You are touching more lives than you know!

    Have a happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Too stinkin' cute! I can't wait to use this too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot thank you enough for all of your freebies! You are simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!