Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Eye Spy amazing writing!

Hello Everyone!
I'm back again with another little tidbit I gleaned from Carol Avery's book, "...And With a Light Touch."  Writing in our draft/craft books during writer's workshop is such a joyful part of our day as first graders.  Along with allowing students to have choice in topics, Carol also suggests that pencils without erasers be used.  I know that is not a new concept, but I never hopped on that bandwagon.  I will this year! While reading this, my thoughts bring me back to watching one of my kiddos erase an entire page of their own writing.  She was not happy with how it was turning out. She then proceeded  to write over the top of all her smudges, which made her new thoughts "unreadable." Carol suggests using pencils without erasers "makes it easy for children to learn to line out rather than erase--a procedure that facilitates revision."  In my classroom, I try to model my own draft on large chart paper using a marker every day. Of course I can't erase. But I can show the kids how to line out words I don't want, or underline words of which I am unsure. Having the kids do the same in their own draft/craft book will help them have a positive focus on their personal expressions. It will also allow for observing/tracking the whole editing/revising piece.  Working on a draft should not be scary. It should be joyfilled! 
So, now the problem with "pencils without erasers" exists. Some teachers I know use golf pencils,  others use pens, and still others special order them. Just pushing off the eraser can be fine, but then you have that sharp metal end that will undoubtedly get chewed. Youch! My solution to this problem was inspired by the Expo dry erase markers that come with a little fuzzy on the end to erase. I know you've seen them.  Well, I got busy with that same idea and in about 10 minutes I had a class set of "Eye Spy" pencils.  I simply removed the eraser, hot glued a little fuzzy in its place and then added a little wiggly eye.  Voila!  

Inspiration





Our "Eye Spy" pencils ready to go!


I can't wait to help my kids be more confident writers!! I'd love to hear from you about your thoughts on using pencils without erasers.  

As always, thanks for stopping by!  Have a great rest of the week!! I am off to the Rangers game tonight with my three favorite guys!! 
Joyfully!
Nancy

15 comments:

  1. Super cute. I really like that idea. I have already passed it on to my teammate!
    Thanks.
    Em
    Curious Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea!
    I actually have orange,purple and green eyeballs left over from making Focus Sticks for writing...maybe I will use the rest of them on this idea.

    Thanks.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the wonderful tips and units you share. You are obviously one AMAZING teacher! And so generous with your colleagues! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I am a religious follower of you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I have struggled with erase or cross out for awhile. I ,too, have seen my students erase half of their story and start again. Sometimes they will erase over and over. I don't have them write a final draft to publish just edit and revise.(Lucy Calkins style) I don't want them to think writing is tedious. How do you have them publish?
    Cynthia
    Mrs olsens moose tracks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea! Very creative! I duct tape silk flowers to the tops of my pens. Then I house them in tin pails at my desk. This brightens up my desk!
    Najda
    najda_2000@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi nancy, thanks for the cute idea (again :) I was wondering if you are planning to use the pom-pom pencils ONLY during writing workshop time? or all the time, throughout the day? Thanks for your generous sharing! Blessings, Kelly Turk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having the kids do the same in their own draft/craft book will help them have a positive focus on their personal expressions. It will also allow for observing/tracking the whole editing/revising piece.
    LOL Coaching
    Cheap LOL Coaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having the kids do the same in their own draft/craft book will help them have a positive focus on their personal expressions. It will also allow for observing/tracking the whole editing/revising piece. Working on a draft should not be scary. It should be joyfilled! lol boost review
    Buy LOL Boost

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I love this idea of taking off the erasers on pencils. We do daily sentence editing with my class and this will be a great way to help them learn the correct ways to edit.
    Take care,
    Kelli Peterson, Bemidji MN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having the kids do the same in their own draft/craft book will help them have a positive focus on their personal expressions. It will also allow for observing/tracking the whole editing/revising piece.
    LOL Coaching
    WOW Gold Kaufen

    World of Warcraft Gold

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Silly question maybe but will you all toss the fuzzy pom pon out with the pencil or try to re-use? Just curious.

    Happy Teaching!
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to hear what you are telling them about the "eye". I am absolutely wanting to do this for writer's workshop, just trying to figure the purpose of the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This ideas goes right along with the Writer's Eyes bulletin board I found on another site. Can't wait to make these pencils for my writing center. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I teach K, and I do use pencils without erasers. It removes the possibility of erasing our entire writing time and tearing the paper, which leads to frustration and tears. I love not using erasers.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!