Sunday, May 4, 2014

Publishing Poetry and Mothers Day Similes

Hello Everyone!
I hope you are having a great weekend.  I don't know about you, but the end of the year is approaching waaaaay to quickly!  I still have so much I want to do with my kiddos. I don't want the year to end yet!!!

 We had fun celebrating poetry and Shel Silverstein this past week. After reading "Lazy Jane" by Shel, we wrote our own concrete poems about water.  To publish we wrote our poems on a raindrop shape, and laminated them to look like real raindrops.



After getting inspired by Shel's poem "Tired" we wrote our own list poems about what makes us tired. 
We published them by writing them on a sweet little sleeping bag with our faces peeking out.
Our Brainstorm anchor








Then we enjoyed the inspiration of Shel's poems "Ouch" and "Bandaids"  and wrote our own poems about times when we say, "Ouch!"  We had fun with bandaids as well!!!




Our Brainstorm anchor






I'm telling you, we have some poets and we didn't know it!!  Thank you Shel Silverstein for inspiring us to discover our inner poets!!! :)


This coming week we will be celebrating mom by presenting our musical on Thursday night!!  The kids have worked so hard and are so excited!! I am too!!  We will also be celebrating mom by writing a sweet book just about and for her!!  If you are a mom, you know there is nothing like a thoughtful piece of writing by your little sweetie to make Mother's Day so special.   We will be incorporating the use of similes to create our books. 




For your free Mother's Day Simile book printable CLICK HERE!!

There are about 12 different simile pages for the kids to write and illustrate. We will bind them and add some pizzazz to the cover.  We love celebrating our moms!!

Well, Gotta Run!!  Off to watch our Dallas Mavericks beat the Spurs! Go Mavs!!
Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!  We love your support of this little blog. 
 Thanks for stopping by for a peek!! 
 These kiddos are amazing!! 
They love sharing their work with you!
Joyfully!
Nancy





6 comments:

  1. I love the Mother's Day simile project. Well, I love pretty much everything you do! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poetry ideas!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Mother's Day simile book but I have one student who is not allowed to see his mother. Is there a way to change the cover and the pages from Mom to Grandma? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all your great and creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always been hard to find cute, meaningful poetry lessons for my first graders to enjoy. I love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!