Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Writing...The Joy of it all!

Hello Everyone!
Do you ever wonder if you truly are teaching? Making a difference? Helping kids be the best they can be?? I am telling you when you really look at the progress kids make through their written expression, your answer will be clear! Don't doubt yourself!!
 Every student in our school district maintains a writing portfolio which is passed to each new grade level as students progress.  We take a writing sample three times a year. The samples go into the portfolio along with documentation on a writing continuum.  Last week I finally had a chance to show the kids the writing collected in their personal portfolios.  Of course, they only had writing from kindergarten and this year, but I wanted them to see what almost brought me to tears as I was putting folders together. Tears of JOY!!! The growth in writing is amazing to me!! They are learning!! They are taking in all of our little lessons and writing conference conversations!! 
When I asked the kids to open their portfolios,...you should have seen their faces! You should have heard the squeals of delight!! You should have seen them jumping up and down!!


They truly couldn't believe how much they have grown as writers!
End of Kindergarten to end of first grade growth!!

Today we counted up all the books we have published! Again! The smiles and cheers were crazy cool!!
In my class I have some wonderful moms who come in on Thursdays to help kids publish their drafts. Once in a while they will get them typed up, but the majority of work is simply printed on plain white paper and stapled together with a little cover.  Each kiddo was able to publish about 18 books this year. That makes a total of 396!!! 




 

I can't thank the moms enough for the incredible help this year!!  I know I couldn't have done it without them!! Yes!!  MoreTears of JOY!!!
 Here's my publishing note that I include with the tub of supplies.


On another note, I promised I would share a quick little end of year treat. Very simple, inexpensive, not too much color ink, but also thoughtful!! 






Well, the excitement of our school day has calmed, it's time to put the wife and mother hat on and get dinner going.  Nothing too exciting!! Oh well, I love that I get to wear different hats!!
Till next time, thanks for stopping by for a peek!!  Stay tuned for some popsicle fun!!
Joyfully!
Nancy



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the cute freebie! I love the pictures of the kiddos' faces when seeing their writing growth! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy. What a gift you are to your students! I love this idea and would be interested in starting it next year. I just want to make sure I understand...Does the child do a rough draft story and then the parent does the writing in the construction paper book? I do like that idea. My students love it when I type up their stories. It would also be great for beginning writers who have lots of stories in their head, but don't know how to spell all the words needed. Thanks for sharing your feedback.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, My students write in a draft book every day, following a mini lesson where I model a certain skill. They take one of their pieces from the week, work on editing themselves as they learn the skills, and as we conference. Then on Thursdays, we publish. They read their pieces to the parent and the parent writes it with correct spelling and punctuation. They create their little books and illustrate later. Books are kept in their book baskets to practice reading throughout the next week. Hope this helps!!! Nancy :)

      Delete
  3. So great! Thank you for sharing! I am always looking for ways to continue to improve my writing workshop.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible. I appreciate the work that has been put into programs like this and the accessibility of them to other educators and parents. Thank you and well done.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!