Monday, February 11, 2013

Balloon Found 1,500 miles away!


Hello Everyone!!
Can you believe it? One of our balloons from our 100th day launch was found in the Bahamas!! 1,500 miles away from our school! Seriously??? 
 We got a sweet e-mail and pictures from the little 6 year old girl who found the balloon. The balloon was actually still slightly inflated!


Great Guana Cay Abaco, Bahamas

Found at:  3:00 pm – 2/9/13

Teacher – 1-V
Student – AC
1,500 miles from Boon

We are so excited to respond to her e-mail, I hope as excited as she was to find it!  This is the first time in the eight+ years we have been launching balloons that one has made it outside of the continental United States!! This is going to turn into something more than what we have ever hoped for!  I think I see pen pals in our future.  Hmmmm.  I also think I might need to go retrieve that balloon myself! :) 
Anyway, stay tuned for my next unit! Hopefully ready to share tomorrow! 

Have a joyful evening!!
Nancy

12 comments:

  1. WOW! That is amazing. How cool to hear from someone that far away! Sounds like a great activity I may have to try next year.

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is amazing. Make me think that it would be fun to launch some balloons during our Weather Unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is really nest! Can't wait to hear if you receive news on any more balloons. Really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing that one of your balloons traveled so far but did you know that most balloons that are let go end up as pollution? I have seen where wildlife is injured and killed by balloons set free. Please be careful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Thanks for the reminder!! We try our very best to include biodegradable components to our project. In fact, this may turn out to be one of our last launches, as helium is becoming harder to come by as it is a nonrenewable resource. But we truly feel that we learn soooo much from this event and the results of this event!! :)
      Joyfully!
      Nancy

      Delete
  5. That's so exciting! I bet the students are thrilled. I'm thinking that would be a fun way to launch (no pun intended) a geography unit.

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is so cool. what a great opportunity to do a mini unit on the Bahamas. I bet your kids were totally excited!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! That is so cool:)
    I bet the children are super happy about it.
    What a great way to weather and wind currents.
    or gain a penpal!!
    AND..
    Hey anonymous...didn't your mother teach you if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all!!!!!..or at least have the courage to sign your name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going next week I'll be happy to pick it up for you! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cool! I bet your students were thrilled! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool! Would you be willing to share what information you included on the notes inside the balloons?
    Thanks.
    Darlene
    jdsargo@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!