Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Whole Lotta Sharin' Goin' On!

Hello Everyone!!
This is my favorite time of the school year.  We are finishing up our testing, the kids have become quite independent with everything, they have become readers and writers, they have become problem solvers, I could go on and on!  I want to share some of their darling work and a couple of free units.  First off, after the big chick hatching extravaganza, I decided to have the kids write about what they would do if they had a baby chick.  From what they wrote, they would make great chick owners!  I then let them create a chick! All I gave them was a yellow circle. They turned out so cute!





The next thing I want to share is the beginning of our poetry unit.  Yes, April is poetry month, but we are getting a bit of a late start. We began by talking about what a poem is, and created a "Poetree" anchor chart. I read some different types of poem including Shel Silverstein's Poet's Tree. We talked about how sometimes a poet has fun with words and makes us really think. Shel does exactly that!!  We decided to take the subject of spring and create a simple list poem that had some flair with how we published it. They turned out so sweet!












The last thing for tonight is a new unit I just finished. In science we are studying plants for the next couple of weeks and in math we begin our study of measurement using nonstandard units. Well, put those two curriculum areas together and you get "Splat the Cat, Oopsie Daisy" by Rob Scotton.  The kids looooove Splat, so I decided to use that little guy as our inspiration all next week. this little unit contains cross curricular learning opportunities.  Here's a peek!
 















These are just a few of the over 60 pages in the unit!  I hope you can use at least a few of them.  You have to go get that sweet book if you don't have it yet.  I found some at Target, but of course you can always get on Amazon or go to your favorite bookstore.

If you are interested in the unit, don't wait,
Well, that's all I've got for tonight!! Thanks for stopping by for another peek!!  Hope you can swing by again soon to check out what we're up to!!!  Now off to get my math tubs ready for next week! Can't wait!!
Talk to you all soon!
Joyfully!
Nancy






10 comments:

  1. WOW! That is a whole lotta sharing! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for always sharing your units. I look forward to your posts knowing they are well thought out and engaging for students. I hope one day to start my own blog about my classroom and inspire learning the way you do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to watching your blog blossom!! :)
      Nancy

      Delete
  3. Nancy you are so amazing! Your ideas are always spot on...how do you stay on top of everything?
    Thank you for being so generous. I just bought Oopsie Daisy and some little planting kits for my class. They are going to love the activities in your unit. THANK YOU!!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing these activities to go with this beloved character. You are such a blessing to so many classrooms. This unit helps me out tremendously with sub plans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the poetry unit! THANK YOU for sharing your talents. I have used so many of your ideas. My firsties loved making the big bandaides and Ouch poems.

    Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fifa world cup sports online games new edition is the Fifa world cup Tough luck which records all of the functionality along with capriciousness regarding genuine little league, and is also inspired through Your five game changing modernizations which in turn enhance the artificial cleverness, golf ball handle and many others.
    Fifa 14 Ultimate Team Coins

    Buy fut 14 coins

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this poetry unit! Your work is always amazing. Shel Silverstein is great and your Poetree is fabulous. Thank you for sharing, always great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!