Thursday, April 3, 2014

Animal Teeth and Hair and a Share!

Hello Everyone!
We have finished our study on what and how animals eat and what kinds of body covering they have. Sandra Markle has written two perfect books to help organize kids' (and teachers') thoughts on those exact subjects.

What if You Had Animal Teeth and What if You had Animal Hair have become two of my favorite books.  I posted about the teeth book last year right about this same time, and Sandra came through with the hair book just in time for our study this year!! Both books are wonderful examples of a blend of fiction and nonfiction!!  Perfect!!  After reading, discussing and comparing, I had the kids write about the kind of animal teeth they would want to have.  They created a self portrait including those teeth! They turned out so great again this year!



After reading and discussing the hair book, the kids wrote and created a similar hands on visual, with animal hair added to their self portraits.  So cute!! Including a hands on visual connection helps kids understand concepts more deeply and in their own creative way.



I wish the kids'writing would have shown up better in the pics, but I was very pleased with their thoughts and ideas!!
Doing these activities reminded me that I have some fun news to share.  A while back Scholastic Instructor magazine contacted me about this lesson.  They saw my post last year and said they wanted to include it in a section they were doing on "craftivities." Of course, I gave them permission and sent some samples.  The article came out about a month or so ago!  The editors and photographers did an amazing job!! 




You can read the entire article at www.scholastic.com/instructor.  Oh!  I almost forgot!  They wanted some more fun ideas for a summer issue. So exciting!! I've had ideas included in other publications before, but Instructor always does an outstanding job with celebrating teachers and what we do for kids.  I want to support that! Thank you Scholastic/Instructor!
Anyway, if you are interested in the hands on visuals above, you can take a look at THIS FREE UNIT!! CLICK!!

Well, thanks for stopping by for a peek!  I appreciate your support!! Stay tuned for some more fun and learning!!
Joyfully!
Nancy






Post a Comment