Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Math Fun, Synthesizing , and Baby Chicks! Oh My!

Hello Everyone!
Lots to share tonight! We have had so much "springtime learning fun" in math.  Last week I shared about a mini lesson in game form that we played on the lifesized 120 board with some wind-up chicks. Well, we got out the wind up bunnies this week.  We played a similar game yesterday, but today we shook things up a bit and included a chick and a bunny! The kids wound up the little hoppers and when each landed on two numbers, we had to first tell about greater and less than, but then we had to use different strategies to tell the difference.  It wasn't long before they realized that using the base ten model, finding the difference was easy!!  They thought they we were done with the problem after that, but noooo!  With a little hint from a fellow blogger (Pauline at Firstgradebythesea), I incorporated some movement into the scenerio!  After finding the difference, the kids had to hop or do that many jumping jacks!! Phew! One set of numbers had a difference of 41... the kids were pooped!! Here are a few pics!





You can get hopping chicks and bunnies at the Dollar Tree!! Make the 120 board on a shower curtain!! We've used ours all year!!

Now on to synthesizing.  I posted a couple of days ago about teaching kids about synthesizing while they are reading.  I introduced the concept using "The Little Island," and lots of discussion. We learned about the fact that we need to use our schema and our new thinking together to understand what our text selection is about. The kids had to take notes during the reading and then write what they thought the story was about using all of their new thinking.  They did a great job!!







 We continued today with synthesis focusing on the language of synthesis. We practiced synthesizing again using another book (this time an expository text) and used the words that help us organize our thoughts.





The kids had little bookmarks with language reminders to help them during "Read to Someone" time for Daily 5.  Supporting each other was important. Practice with this skill is important. Practice makes permanent!  You can get these little visual reminders.  CLICK HERE!! :) 
for your free printables.

Now, I promised the kids I would take pics of the new baby chicks that just hatched today so that moms and dads could see them.  We've been studying the life cycles of animals, finishing up this week.  We've also been waiting patiently for our school wide chick project to develop!  Tah! Dah!! Right on cue!! Happy Birthday to eight little babies!!! We love them already!!





They will be a huge inspiration when we start our poetry unit next week, I am sure!!
Well, thanks for hanging in there through this looooooong post, but I just had so much to share!!

Stay tuned, I've got some fun little math games for next week in the works!!

Thanks for stopping by for a peek!! You all are amazingly supportive!!
Have a great rest of the week!!
Joyfully!
Nancy



  

4 comments:

  1. So adorable - thank you for such a great project!! Jake has been so excited about these baby chicks - such a great memory for him!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy

    I love your blog. I have used many of your resources with my older students with great success. Your prompts are always clear and straightforward.

    I just wanted to say thanks for sharing with us all.

    Also love the newspaper headline in the second photo of the baby chicks. Very fitting. :-)

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, that's the basics with children, you are doing a great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post. I think emotions play a massive part in building inspiring and effective teams and I recently blogged on the secret sauce of team work. Rather than repeat it here I thought I'd post the link and I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!