Saturday, April 12, 2014

Little Authors!!

Hello Everyone!
In my last post I said I would share some writing lessons I've done with my little firsties, but first I want to share a fun little math game we did this past week to practice comparing and ordering numbers up to 120. We pulled out our infamous life-sized 120 board (made on a shower curtain).  I found some darling little wind up chicks at the Dollar Tree and we used them to select our numbers to compare.  We wound up the chicks and let them hop hop hop until they ran out of steam and landed on a number.  The larger chick helped us phrase our comparisons.  We love to talk math!!
___ is greater than ___because __ tens/ones
 is more than __ tens/ones.


We can compare 2, 3, 4 numbers!!!


I was so pleased with how the kids were able to have fun and understand how to compare using our math language!  Way to go, kiddos!!  Can you guess what we'll be doing next week?  More practice ...   but with bunnies, instead!! Yay Dollar Tree!!

Now, on to our writing.  We have been working hard on expository writing over the past few weeks.  We started off writing to teach.  We selected something that we were "experts" at (We are all experts at something!!!), and wrote all about it to teach our readers. Having a place to do all our planning is important to my young authors.
















 



This past week we worked on writing to teach someone "how to" do something!...How to eat Oreo Cookies!  Everyone eats them differently.  We did this same writing last year and it was very successful, so I decided to try it again!! 


Of course we had to practice eating an Oreo!! We wanted out steps fresh in our minds!! :)


Brainstorming words we would need
 for our "How To" writing







Publishing and celebrating!!





Both writing units come with mini reminder posters, brainstorming sheets, planning sheets, and mini book templates for publishing!  Hope you can use them!!

Now, off to celebrate another friend's marriage!! Love is certainly in the air!!
Hope you are enjoying your weekend!!  
Thanks for stopping by for a peek into our wonderful world!!
You are the best!
Joyfully!
Nancy













3 comments:

  1. Thank-you so much for sharing these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy, I want to thank you for all your great ideas.You have helped me out so many times with a quick idea. I used your "The Best Nest" this week and added a component to cover my PE time as well. I posted about it on my blog and gave you a shout out, too.
    Thanks again,
    Pauline at First Grade by the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just completed the "how to eat an Oreo" unit last week. The kids had a blast and I was so pleased with their writing for our "how to" assessment. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas. You are such a tremendous resource!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!