Friday, November 9, 2012

Celebrating Friendship with Native Americans

Hello Everyone!
The past couple of days have been a celebration of friendship.  We read a sweet book called "The Littlest Pilgrim" by Brandi Dougherty. It is about a little Pilgrim girl who is too little to help or do anything with or for anyone else. We were feeling pretty sorry for this little one until she meets a little Native American girl.  Instant friendship! We cheered!!! We made some wonderful text connections with this book.  We make friends with those we have something in common with pretty easily, but how do you make other friendships?  We brainstormed some ideas. Kindness and compassion was a common theme!  
Then it was time to celebrate the friendships made in that historical time of the Pilgrims by creating our own Native Americans.  They turned out so cute. But I love the writing the most!!  Way to go kids!! 



We can be friends by showing kindness and compassion.



A wave of friendship!!


For a printable unit of the writing activity and patterns for the Native American, click here!

I am so happy to have friends all over the world. I love being able to share with you all!  Thank you so much for all your kind words and encouragement with this whole blogging thing. You all inspire me!!
Have a wonder-filled weekend!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

11 comments:

  1. These turned out great! I have to find that book to use next week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful unit! You are a wonderful teacher! Thank you for always sharing!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the patterns and cute ideas! My kids will love these.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cutie! I think I'll have to find that book one day. It sounds sweet.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Is there a pattern that you used for the pilgrims as well? Thanks for sharing your great ideas! I am a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You amaze me with your kindness to share! Thank you so much for adding to a lesson I had planned with this cute book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa,
    I posted about our little pilgrims on November 6. Let me know if you can't get to the patterns!! Have fun!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am doing a unit on Native Americans now. This activity will be great. Thanks for sharing all your neat ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! We are going to be trying to complete them this week. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!