Monday, July 2, 2012

Guided Reading Guide

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for stopping by!! I get a lot of e-mails asking what I do when my kids are fully involved with Daily 5. Well, that is the perfect time for guided reading lessons with small groups or individual kiddos, as well as reading and writing conferences.   I keep a large notebook with a section for each of my firsties. After doing DRA's on each, I know what skills I need to work on and if I can group any of the kids together. I combined the behaviors that I notice in readers and teaching points I need to remember into single documents for each level of my readers from A-M (Fountas and Pinnell). At a glance I can see what support I need to provide and when my kiddos are ready to move up to the next level.  The checklist, date documentation, and other notes I have taken help during parent conferences and other meetings.

A sample of the level A documentation sheet

A sample of the level L documentations sheet

I hope this helps you whether you are a teacher or a parent!