Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Silent Signals

Hello Everyone!
I have just a quick post today, but before that, I want to say a very humble thank you for all the positive comments on my blog.  I am new to this venue, but love being able to share and take every opportunity to teach. I am about to begin my 30th year as an educator of young children,but am realizing that I can help other teachers as well. We are all in this together, and in this for our sweet students. If you can use any of these ideas to help a kiddo be successful and happy, I am thrilled! So thank you!!  Thank you for giving me the confidence and spurring me on to keep going!!

I've had a couple of questions about how I keep the kids from interrupting while I am testing or exploring a guided reading lesson with a group.  I have a lantern (goes along with my western themed room!) that I turn on during those important times.  I train the kids to know that when that lantern is on, there will be no interruptions, whether I am working individually with a student or working with a group. We work on building that stamina every day!!
This year I am going to introduce some "silent signals" for my kids to use, because it never fails that someone needs to use the restroom, get a drink, or get a new sharp pencil during testing or guided reading!  :)  I know many classes already use some similar signs, but I never implemented them.  I am excited for the kids to practice and get used to using and not abusing these silent signals!!


Have a great day!!
Joyfully and Thankfully!!
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Need to try this! Thank you for te freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your hand signals are the ASL letters, how sweet!

    Reading with Mrs. D
    Endless Pinabilities

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE lantern! Where did you get it? I love that idea! Btw, I gave you a blog award. :) You can go to my blog to get it! :) http://permanentlyprimary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely wonderful!! I was going to make a sign like this, but you saved me the time. Thank you so much!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!